Thursday, January 20, 2011

Phone Sex

People watching is a great hobby, mainly because it's free and you get to make fun on large amounts of stranger in your own head, but lately people watching has become kind of repetitive, basically every group of people you see is walking around each individual buried in their own little cell phone universe. Groups of people whom one assumes got together to enjoy each others company, ignoring those around them in favor of online blogs and txting with friends, probably the girl at the checkout who is ignoring me while staring mindlessly into her bedazzled curve (apparently people still do that).
This is a picture from Christmas 2005. Their are 9 people ages 18-20 in this picture, not one of which is on a cell phone. Try to find that today, honestly I guarantee it is impossible. Think of that, just five years, I assume most of these people owned a cell phone, hell if they didn't that just further alienates 2005 from today. I have 49 photos posted of this gathering, not one photo is their a cell phone shown. I personally didn't believe it either, I was looking for a picture I took of two cell phones "humping" and I came across these.

One has to ponder how such an invitation goes, "Hey Katelyn wanna go walk around the mall staring at our phones, just so we don't look like losers who don't have friends, and we can always txt each other if something funny happens, OMG I hate those losers who sit at Starbucks all alone txting." Theirs one giant flaw in their above quotations, "if something funny happens," unfortunately for those to busy to look up from their phones they are unlikely to notice anything happening in the world around them.
I assume this is what lunch is like in school now. We use to catapult grapes...
Cell phones have been with us for awhile, but within the last five years they have become an additional extremity. Just five years ago I got my first cell phone, I was 18 and I was one of only a few kids at my high-school with a device. This was the norm, most of my friends got their first phones somewhere between the age of 16 and the first years of college. This age range made sense as it feel in line with other life events, such as getting a license or moving out, that added additional freedom.
I managed through all of elementary school and high school to not need a cell phone, I used friends house phones to call my parents if need be, and communicated with my friends either by land-line phones or AIM (this is like Facebook chat, except better and you got to use a cool s/n (screen name) my main one was z44GunsSayHi).
It scares me to calculate how many hours of my life were spent having similar conversations with SmarterChild.
I can't say that life wouldn't have been easier with a cell phone, but at that point in time cell phones were for adults, business people mostly. Txting still cost a lot of money and T9 was the only way to not spend 25-minutes trying to twitter sized message (I didn't learn about T9 until 6 months after getting my first phone, and I didn't need to because many of my friends still didn't have phones and txting seemed rather pointless).
Just five years later we live in a world where our cell phones can do as much as a computer, can hold and play thousands of songs, can take pictures on par with digital cameras, can play video games...
Snake is defiantly more addictive then angry birds.
...GPS on par with an independent unit, video chatting, watching movies, basically anything. Phones aren't even designed to be used for voice calling anymore. At least flip phones attempted to somewhat mold to the contours of the human face, now phones are just flat, with no number keys, and a slide out keyboard (I have a X2 global). Then we get blue tooth ear pieces, because it is hella exhausting to lift the phone to ones ear, wait no it's because we need to be able to simultaneously read e-mail/txts/goth poetry while being on the phone.
If we give bums blue tooth then they won't look crazy, they will look like they are doing important work. 
Cell phones have got to the point where people can't exist without them, now when one leaves the house, even to go get mail, they must take their phones with them. Hell, everyone reading this has taken their phone with them to the toilet (some of you may be reading this from said throne), or left it in arms reach while showering. It's almost pathetic if you think about it, if your friend walked around all day face glued to his DSi or PSP you will unrelentlessly make jokes at his expense. Is it better to be addicted to your phone than to reality television. We probably (yes I include myself) could all use a nice break from our phones before this happens to all of us (metaphorically and literally)...



STMTZ

No comments:

Post a Comment