Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Oh Snap!

What has happened to us? 

a lot of you are probably riddling off reasons in your head as to why I would pose this question, does it have to do with the way we over protect children to the point of wussification, or maybe it has to do with our undying need to purchase ridiculous amounts of useless consumer appliances? Perhaps even the decay of our social skills as we travel the internet in search of someone to mate with. All of these do beg the question "What has happened to us," but they are not my topic of frustration for today. No, today I turn a critical eye on my dear companion and friend the camera.

I for no particular reason assume you guys all know that I am a photographer, and I actually use to make money from it, and have one of those silly pieces of paper from Penn State saying something to the effect of "this man is capable of pushing a button, well still being able to withhold his thumb from entering the frame," so all in all I feel my claim is more significant then that 16 year old girl with her D90.
It's black and white so it must be good.
But camera's have become so common place in our society that it is straight up annoying. I mean I am all for the digitalization of photography (it makes my life about 900% easier and means I don't have to spend all that time/money developing stupid pictures of squirrels) but people need to put the damn things away. It use to be when you saw a pan of a crowd at a concert their were hundreds, or thousands, of people simultaneously enjoy the music being played, dancing, air guitar-ing, moshing and just generally having a great time. Now a pan of the crowd shows a group of people all trying to hold their phones still so they can post the video of the concert, like peeing on some kind of technological fire hydrant, "I was their!!! OMG! see I was their, I have proof, I AM SO COOL!"
"See, if you like zoom in you can totally see Bon Jovi rocking your face off' I was there!"
I am not exaggerating that at any live event at least 50% of those in attendance are actively filming, or photographing the events. Why even bother going? Having spent too much time behind the camera I am well aware that when you are focused on filming (I have a silly piece of paper for that too, yet I am sitting here creating comics of fish talking) or photographing an event you are left with the odd feeling of having not even experienced the event. People voluntarily spend money to go to events just to sit their and spend their time focused on trying to take a picture, a picture you could probably just Google and find taken by someone who knows how to use a camera (yes you suck get over it).

Someone might find this picture relevant to the rest of the piece...someone.

This is one of the demises of our society, it is now less important to experience an event then to prove you experienced an event, which can only lead to far more horrific things to come in the future if this trend continues. 

What am I saying we already know you get famous for making sex tapes

No comments:

Post a Comment